Steel Doors in Chicago: A Symbol of Strength and Resilience
The metal door industry supplies first-rate quality doors fit for residential as well as commercial buildings. Typically, industry performance depends on residential and commercial construction demands, accounting for 47.1% and 35.2% of industry revenue.
With the Metal Door manufacturing industry growing steadily, it's evident that an increasing number of homeowners are choosing steel doors. If you live on the Northeast side of the U.S. in areas like Chicago, you need robust doors that fight weather calamities while adding a touch of elegance to your overall home décor.
What are Steel Doors?
Here's the thing; steel doors aren't made out of solid steel. Instead, steel doors boast a polyurethane or polystyrene core alongside a steel skin on top of it. A solid steel door would be too heavy and instantly cause your hinges to come off.
For this reason, steel between 24 and 16 gauge is utilized to fabricate the door's skin. The perimeter of the door is reinforced with the help of a wood frame. The polyurethane/polystyrene is never visible on the door's edges.
Steel and metals are incredible conductors of heat, making them undesirable options for hotter regions. However, the polyurethane or polystyrene core acts as the thermal barrier. According to in-depth studies, certain synthetic materials are about five times better at blocking heat and cold than wooden doors.
The Pros of Steel Doors
Steel entry doors are critical components to ensuring a comfortable living space. Here's why you should choose steel doors for your home:
The entrance is more than just a point from where family members and guests can enter. Instead, it is often used to enjoy energy-efficiency benefits as well.
Steel is an excellent option for maximizing energy within your home. What makes steel incredibly energy-efficient is its first-rate quality insulated foam. Other than that, the joints and connections present in the door boast thermal adhesives that completely transform the conductivity of metal into a powerhouse for energy efficiency.
Durability and Longevity
Apart from being energy-efficient, steel doors are one of the most durable and sustainable materials on the market. These quality doors can easily withstand years of wear and tear as long as you maintain them.
Typically steel doors are fabricated with 20 to 26 gauge steel, making your door reliable and robust. Moreover, wooden doors often warp and distort as a result of weather calamities. Luckily, steel doors ensure you never have to worry about this, regardless of how much moisture is floating in the air.
Apart from this, steel boasts excellent tolerance against weather conditions. In fact, it can withstand devastating winds and rainstorms, making it a popular storm door option.
Security and Protection
Strength is one of steel's defining characteristics. For this reason, steel doors are solid and sustainable. Especially as compared to other materials like PVC, wood, and aluminum, steel is a stalwart material that lasts for years after years.
Research indicates that steel doors go through a wide variety of different tests to ensure they are bullet-resistant. It means that steel doors offer excellent security and help prevent burglaries.
These doors also offer protection against weather and natural calamities such as tornadoes, storms, earthquakes, and such.
The Cons of Steel Doors
There are a few disadvantages of installing a steel door as well. These include:
- While it's true that your steel door won't warp, it might dent if a heavy object hits it. In case the paint chips off from that area, your door may start rusting as well.
- As a result of its excellent features, steel doors are on the upper end of the price spectrum.
- While wooden, vinyl and iron doors can be trimmed and modified to fit your entryway, steel doors can't. You won't run into any problems as long as you properly size the frame.
- These doors are comparatively heavier, which makes DIY installation a poor decision.
Different Types of Steel Doors
Steel doors are available in a plethora of exciting designs and colors to cater to the needs of different homeowners. Here are some of the top types of steel doors to consider:
- An emerging trend in the industry is the 'Block Factor.' Here, contractors will install improved finishes by creating broader and wider steel frames. In addition, aluminum or glass decorations are added to the door to accentuate its look.
- Steel doors engraved or beveled with glass help enhance the beauty of your home. Typically, the glass shapes on your door go beyond half lite and narrow shapes to modified ovals, full glass, and so on. It helps improve the look and functionality of your steel door.
- Stainless steel mesh screen doors are another fantastic option to look into. The quality mesh is available in attention-grabbing light, as well as elegant dark colors. Due to the extensive range, you can easily find a door that matches your needs.
- A classical steel door is a safe option for your entry door as well. You may add a splash of color, varnish it, or use an authentic wood grain to make it look captivating.
When talking about the durability of interior and exterior doors, your product will only be good and effective if the installation is sound. The reason behind this is that your brand new steel door will only perform well if it is installed correctly.
In case your door boasts poor installation, you'll end up with a drafty door that fails to open and close properly. A good idea is to seek a company boasting years of experience and expertise. Revamp your home today with the help of the perfect modern steel door that matches the minimalist style of Chicago.